Friday, April 27, 2007

Sick!

I hate being sick. I've been all nasty sick for the past three days. Headache, bodyache, chills, fever, stomach problems. And I'll tell you the biggest mistake I made, and it's not the unidentified meat taco I bought from the street like you might think. I called my mother at the beginning of my sickness. All these years of experience of being sick as an adult should have taught me to call my mother after the fact. Not saying anything for all you other mothers out there. You may be perfectly calm and rational when your grown child with spouse gets sick a couple hundred miles from you. Slight fever and stomach bug might warrant 2 or 3 calls a day until the sickness is over to give some helpful advice and see how he/she is doing. My mother has called me and/or my husband 6 to 8 times a day to check on my well-being and command me take take baths in cool water and alchohol, take tylenol, and orange juice, and plenty of water, and orange juice, put the cool towel on your head. what's your temperature now. How about now. Did you get that tylenol. Why are you home? why aren't you at the docter. Your temperature is 100 degrees! What are you thinking being at home...go to the emergency room! Where is your husband?? James!?!? JAMES!!! Why is my daughter at home? take her to the emergency room. NOW ! Now James. She's sick! Do I have to come up there??? Don't make me come up there?!?!? (10 minutes later) Is she dressed? Is she in the car? How is she now...has the docter seen her....

She calls me at 7 am...promises to call me on her lunch break, then calls me at 8 am and on her lunch break. Doesn't she know sick people are supposed to rest?

I love my mother. I really do. And I respect the fact that mothers get a little excited when their children are sick and they are not there to take care of them. But for crying out loud...did I really have to go the emergency room? I went as requested, but when I realized the wait was going to be 3 to 4 hours, I decided it wasn't worth it and went home without seeing the docter. The next day my dad took me to the clinic and I was prescribed some antibiotics. My mom was upset with my dad because he didn't make it to the emergency room the night before. My dad seemed to think i was'nt that bad. Just sick. She told everyone I was like deathly ill. One of my aunts even called me last night because her daughter told her my other aunt told her that I was in the hospital.



(sigh). In the past when I'm sick or even when I go out of town, I find it's best to tell my mother towards the end. When I starting to feel better or when I'm safely at my destination. She always freaks, and in my opinion goes a little overboard. I don't know what made me think this time would be different. I really did feel like crud, but you know...people get sick. My husband is perfectly capable of taking care of me and of notifying my family if it's anything serious. Well...if nothing else, at least I know I'm cared for. thank God for that:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home