Saturday, April 19, 2008

And now for an update

I'm in a slightly better mood today for no other reason than my preggo hormones are cooperating today. It could have something to do with the refreshing shower I just took:) At any rate things are going as well as could be expected. My job has slowed down to a crawl and so I've been banished to the money-counting room at my office. No...it's not bad really. I love the office gals, and it's been a lot easier on my back let me tell ya. I don't get paid as much per hour, but I'll make enough to survive:) There's still a lot of work to be done. In the fall the money comes in throughout the semester because most people prepay for the pictures. In the spring everyone pays after they've seen the picture so we get a rush of money towards the end.

And in case any of you are on the school pictures cost too much bandwagon...let me just say..true, we bring in a lot of money everyday, but you can not even begin to imagine how much it costs for us to buy and maintain all the camera equipment we use. Not to mention paying for the all the people who use it, fix it, set up your jobs and paperwork to make the schools get exactly what the want. And not just the people in your little lifetouch office. A chunk of the money you spend also goes to corporate to pay for lab technicians and storage so you have the privelage of pulling your childs name out of millions in the warehouse to order an extra sheet of wallets a year after the photo's been taken. It hurts my brain to think of the orginizational nightmare that is the lifetouch system. Most people have no idea.

Sorry about that little rant...it's funny in the money room how many people will include little notes of disapproval with their payments.

Moving right along to me! We decided to not pick baby's name until she gets here. So don't bother asking, we don't know.(guess that was moving along to baby...) For now, she will be fondly referred to as 'baby'. Original isn't it;) We are in the the middle of childbirth class which goes for 8 weeks. Some of it is stuff i can live without, but apparantly all of it is stuff my husband can live without. We've been three times and each time he spends a sizable portion of the class wandering around the parking lot. and the rest of the time sitting in the lobby, listening but not participating. It's a bummer to have to the the couple activities on my own, but on the other hand he could just refuse to go at all. He could think of hundreds of other ways he'd rather spend that 2 1/2 hours and even if he's not always in the room he continues to go and will continue to go because I want him to go. Though most woman will argue with me and tell me that's not enough, those women have not met James:) better still those women are not in love with the meat head. That little bit of what he's doing is actually making an effort in his world. So...all I can do is hope he catches some of the important things and puts them into practice. And perhaps I will be one of those dictator laboring women and be able to tell him and everybody exactly what it is they need to be doing. That will make it easier for him I'm sure;)

As for my life in Austin...well. I don't know. I feel like I got nothing going for me but work and baby. I have nothing else to talk about and am desperate to get a life. Any suggestions? Anyone up for bowling or a game of movie trivia? any cheap austin hobby suggestions?....

2 Comments:

At 4/20/2008 6:17 PM, Blogger The Reader said...

We have the same problem in the church directory division, Cherese. People usually don't realize we're on commission, and that we only get 6% for spending hours transporting the system, setting it up, shooting their pictures, and shipping them off to the lab, not to mention taking great care with their pictures and personal information.

People who think nothing of spending $50 for a meal out or $100 on a pair of shoes go ballistic over the idea of spending anything close to that on pictures. But the meal is gone in a day, the shoes wear out before the year is up. Those portraits last a lifetime.

Best of luck to you!

 
At 4/20/2008 11:01 PM, Blogger bscarter said...

Lori would have NEVER let me skip the classes. Lock him up Cherese!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home