Monday, May 08, 2006

Hurray for me!

I finally won a camera on ebay. Yahoo! Hopefully it will be here within the next week or so. It's a used Canon 10D, but it comes with the cables and battery, charger, manuals, software..all that. Plus a vertical grip. And I got a decent price for it all, at least I think. Also, it turns out the guy who I'm buying the camera from lives in New York and is a photographer for television series' like Cold Case. So I sent him a message telling him I was interested in that line of work, and if he could kinda tell me he got started. He wrote me back and said he was going to buy me a new battery and throw in a 256 MB memory card. And if I just give him my regular email address, he could write me in more detail about his work. And before anyone get's nervous, ebay messaging restricts the number of characters. So for a long email, it just wouldn't work.

I also got a new still-in-package 2gb memory card for $41. did I mention I love ebay.

I can't wait to get my new camera...I hope it will awaken my photographic urges and I'll be inspiried to take pictures of pretty much anything, like I used to. I miss being known as "camera girl" around the acu campus. how cool was that. The euphoria of a new camera has wiped away my anger with ebay. Hooray for ebay.


On a different note. So different in fact, it should probably be it's own post, but...laziness prevails. My pastor was voted out of my church on Sunday. I've written before about the struggles we were having. I don't believe he was completely honost, but he is human. I cannot expect perfection. I understand that the elders of the church wanted him out. They had an impromptu vote to get rid of him. No warning. Just a meeting after church, and all members were to vote. They got the vote by signing a petition; 10 deacons signed. ONe, I might add, has only attended church 2x in the past year. members were suddenly present that hadn't been there in weeks, I believe pre-warned about the vote and asked to come to strengthen the side of those that wanted our pastor gone. Like I said. he wasn't the most honost man I met. But I do believe him to be a man of God. I believe he was young and new and trying to bring our church into the 21st century.

One of the charges they brought against him was that he wanted a second line in the church. And he wanted a computer for his office. And frankly he just wanted them to do things they were not used to doing. They did all but admit they were old, set in their ways and rejected change. They complained about how much money he was costing. but he has no control over the finances. He can only spend what they allow him to spend..ya know?

At the meeting people I thought i respected made rude comments, shouted at him, wouldn't let him even try to defend himself. Is this really my church family acting like this. It's hard to explain, but the way the behaved broke my heart. I was so upset I just left. He told them that the procedure was to give a two week notice before a vote is made to remove the pastor to allow all members to be present if they so chose. They would not respect that. Demanded that the vote be made that day and everyone had to chose. even people like me, who still didn't know the whole story.

I cried the whole way home. I don't know...what to do. My and james are debating if we even want to go back. if nothing else, take a break. I would hate to think I would treat them with the same anger with which they treated our pastor who they said they still loved. I don't know what to believe, or who to believe. But I do know this...i do not think my church, handled the situation well. There was no shred or love, compassion or forgiveness in any of their tones. I don't know if I can get over it enough to keep going there. pray for me please....

1 Comments:

At 5/09/2006 3:13 AM, Blogger Shea said...

Well Cheese, looks like we are kinda in your boat as well. Not so much about the mistreating of a pastor reason... but the fact of being in a church that is old and set in it's ways...and not getting it.
Jonathan and I have had some pretty long, deep discussions about leaving... not only our church, but perhaps (gulp) the church of christ in general. It's really heart breaking to be in a church that doesn't reach out to a huge community. We live in LA and worship like we live in a tiny town... from the 50's?
Anyway, just remember, your faith is your faith. You and James are a family now and it's okay to step back and reassess what your beliefs are. So many of us get so use to habit and tradition, that we don't stop to question what "we" truly believe. Is it easy to leave the church you were raised in? No. Is it easy to stay there and watch them miss the big picture? No.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home